What is a personal day?
A teacher can request an allowance of up to 3 school days for the following reasons:

  • Receiving a University degree.
  • Writing examinations.
  • Attending university or other convocation of a member of the immediate family.
  • When required to register for courses at a university for professional development.
  • Serious illness of a member of the immediate family.
  • To attend the wedding of a member of the immediate family.
  • To allow for acts of nature over which one has no control.
  • Extenuating circumstances

Extenuating circumstances could mean any reason at all. The Board can grant those days at its discretion. The reasons listed above are usually granted. The Board does have the right to decline personal days.

What is a special leave day?
A teacher can take up to five special leave days per school year. Notification must be provided 5 days before the date of leave. Suitable arrangements shall be made in consultation with the principal for the day or days of the leave.This type of day does not require Board approval and the teacher will pay 110% the supply teacher daily rate. A supply teacher does not actually have to replace the teacher for the 110% deduction of pay.

How does a teacher arrange for a day for medical or dentist appointments?
The teacher should try to arrange for appointments outside of school hours. If that is not possible the teacher may make mutually acceptable arrangements with the principal. If that is not possible, then the teacher uses a sick day for the appointment.

What should a teacher do before requesting pregnancy, parental or adoptive leave?
The leaves are given in accordance with the Employment Standards Act. There are, however, other contractual benefits given to teachers. Article 36 outlines those benefits. If in doubt email the President.

Can you  please review the conditions under which we can track our lost prep time?

In general, we should be making an effort whenever possible to avoid banking prep time by switching, talking with the principal etc. That being said, if you have tried and cannot make arrangements, you can bank prep. Communicating with the principal is necessary.

With regards to missing prep due to PA Days and holidays, it only applies if it is in excess of fifty minutes. This means that if you have additional prep on those days, (beyond the one regular 50 minute class) then you shall be provided 150 minutes of prep for the year. You cannot keep banking over and over past 150 minutes for those days. In the last round of bargaining, this was established to help those who were losing their prep. It does not deal with the total loss of prep, but it was a start to address those who seem to lose twice on those days.

Article 44.01 states:

a) Each Teacher shall receive prep time according to the following schedule:

September 1, 2008  – 200 minutes/week

September 1, 2009 – 210 minutes/week

September 1, 2010 – 220 minutes/week

September 1, 2011 – 230 minutes/week

August 31, 2012 – 240 minutes/week

 Are there any rewards or scholarships that we can apply for our children?

Yes there is. The award is called the Higher Education Award. This award is open to all permanent teachers, principals and vice-principals who have children entering their first year of college. This is a one time application per student.

In the fall of the school year applications are accepted in the Unit Office. Proof of attendance must accompany the application. Proof may be either a copy of tuition paid or copy of the student's "Student Card".

The money comes from the overpayment of EI funds teachers and principals pay during the summer months. The amount of each award depends on the number of applicants and the amount of EI refunded to the Unit and Principals. The maximum amount an applicant can count on is $800.00 per child.

If you have further questions please contact Lois at the office.

Do teachers have to attend staff or any other types of meetings during the summer break?

The simple answer is no. Meetings can not be made mandatory during the summer break. Staff meetings during the summer are specifically prohibited in the Collective Agreement.

What do teachers do when they are unsure about their rights?

Call or email the Unit President, Unit Vice President or any Executive member. The emails listed below are secure sites. If the information is confidential do not use the Board's email site.

The President's email address is:  wayne.bechard@cogeco.net

The Vice President's email address is:  gloria.knoll@gmail.com

All other email addresses can be found on the Executive and Staff page.


 Student  Asessment-Evaluation

As listed in our Collective Agreement, Article 44.09

"Mandated individual student assessment/evaluation delivered by the classroom Teacher shall be conducted during the student's instructional day, and shall not cause a reduction of that Teacher's prep time.  Support, as determined by the school Administration, shall be provided enabling the delivery of such assessment/evaluation."

This means that you do not have to use your prep to mark these assessments.  Ask your principal for support.  Support can be given in various forms, but you are entitled to it.

If you have any questions or concerns or feel that you are not getting support, feel free to contact your President, Wayne Bechard.